Project 3: Grow

The final project’s over!

I’m very pleased with how this photo turned out; it neatly summarises the central idea behind my project. The transition from geometric to fluid is clear, but I also like how ‘honest’ the shot is (quite apart from the¬†minimal Photoshopping); the scale of the photo brings to attention details not readily apparent to the eye and makes them quite beautiful. I love the raised surface texture; it reveals much about the materials and processes of 3D printing, and the dyeing process has lent what feels to me like a very organic quality to the surface, reminiscent of skin/fingerprints.

While this supplementary render is similar in composition to my photo, I’ve used a much more transparent and reflective material to highlight the essential form of the model; less ‘honest’ than the photo, it instead concentrates on the interplay between all the relatively simple curved interior surfaces and how light can allow them to constructively and destructively interact with each other to produce a much more complex and interesting composition.

This is a simple orbit of the model that focuses on the fluid interior chasm.

Link to all posts for this project in chronological order: http://vml104.tumblr.com/tagged/p3/chrono

Four more development renders, this time playing with emissive lighting embedded within the model.

Experimental photography. Some of these have quite interesting aspects - but I feel the chosen image (in this post) most succinctly captures my concept and highlights what may not be readily apparent in my physical model with the human eye.

Final render of the big three. These obviously share a similar narrative, but vastly different form, so composing them together was a challenge. There’s also a rather opposing necessity for this render - since only one of the models exists in real life, it needed to give a representational overview of the other two models. That said, I’ve tried as much as possible to convey the changing relationships of pattern within each model (the donut whose pattern decays as it radiates from the centre; the central form where two contrasting patterns co-exist; and the right-most form with patterns that blend linearly across its length) while still acknowledging that they’ve spawned from a similar idea, but ultimately one has prevailed over the others.

Experimenting with a compositions that still convey my intentions behind each model, but also represent the two unprinted models well enough such that their form can be assessed.

I really like the idea behind the first composition, as it really indicates their conceptual familiarity; but unfortunately it’s hard to discern their individual forms. Since only of the three exists in the physical world, I think I’ll need to take a more representative approach to my subsequent render attempts.

Render progress:

1:1 crop of the above image:

Time to experiment with lighting.

I’ve washed away the residual surface dye on the geometric parts of my model with a wet cottonbud, to better convey its contrasting forms.
I’m happy with how it looks now. I feel like a spray of clearcoat would dull the surface texture resulting from the 3D printing process; it’s seems more natural to leave it as is.

I’ve washed away the residual surface dye on the geometric parts of my model with a wet cottonbud, to better convey its contrasting forms.

I’m happy with how it looks now. I feel like a spray of clearcoat would dull the surface texture resulting from the 3D printing process; it’s seems more natural to leave it as is.

Halfway through the finishing process. I love that you can see subtly see the fluidity of the inner form in the final picture. After this, I’ll consider a shiny clearcoat.

Photography precedents.

Inspirational colours for my model.

concept1.139

concept2.150

concept3.148

Final triplet of iterations.

Render experiments. Increasing material transparency (0, 1, 10).